Friday, February 3, 2012

Meetings

Met with my reader (Ms. Dannenberg), with Mr. Fieleke, and with Joel (Greifinger) on Friday.
Ms. Dannenberg was great. She doesn't know anything about philosophy, but is enthusiastic and will be great for making my writing comprehensible for people who don't know about this kind of stuff. We will continue to meet C4.
Fieleke was also great. He suggested that because I have a background of existentialism, I don't need to go in-depth and try to read Being and Time or something. He said I should just look for a few readings, some from last year's Phil Lit textbook: Camu's essay on Sisyphus, Sartre on existence preceding essence, and the Heidegger essay in the textbook (maybe something about the ethic of care too). Basically, he said to read a few good existential works to get a fundamental framework for my thinking, but not to go too in-depth with the existential phenomenology and just focus on the queer theory.
Joel had a different take on things. He made the point that i should focus on exploring the practical meaning of queer for today, and try to make a distinction between the marriage movement and the more radical queer movement. He spent a while trying to get me to define what makes someone queer and didn't give me any book reccomendations, but the talk helped me find some direction for my project.
Some loose notes:
marriage isn't queer? would turn us into same-sex attracted straight people.
What is this experience? What is is about? What does it mean at this point to be queer? is it identity, thinkings about identity, sexual desires, relationships, expression. relationship and thinking about ID, expression (performance). how to we experience ourselves in a way that is DIFFERENT. what makes us queer is transgression? transgressive sexuality- BDSM and fetish cultures? gay community v. queer community. overlap? 2nd-wave fem rhetoric.
"the last radicals standing"- true?

No comments:

Post a Comment